Tuesday

My Bonsai Story

My Bonsai Story

Silk Bonsai TreeI’d like to tell you my story about bonsai trees.  At the risk of revealing my age, I’ll just say some years ago, I’d guess it was about the time of the first Karate Kid movie when Mr. Miyagi introduced us to the aesthetic beauty of the bonsai, that I became captivated. This all happened before online shopping and research became popular.   I searched for local growers of bonsai trees, and as you may have guessed, the beautiful, full, mature ones were the most expensive.  And as expensive as they were, I had to have one.  Then another, because things were going well, and I didn’t want the first one to get lonely you know, that would make me a terrible bonsai parent. 

I purchased books on bonsai care and training.  I even purchased young trees and plants to transform into bonsai.  I literally jumped head first into the art of bonsai.  Then life happened!  Actually, it kind of got in the way of me and my bonsai.  I no longer had the time required to care for and train my trees.  So of course, they died.  I’m not sure if the technology was available then to produce the beautiful, lifelike, silk bonsai trees we have today.  If it was, I wasn’t aware of it. But that’s life, ever changing and evolving.  In fact, today, for only a fraction of the price of a live bonsai tree, technology has made available silk bonsai trees in many sizes, shapes and stages of maturity.  And of course, I had to have a silk bonsai tree, then another, and another.  Life continues to happen, but this time my bonsai trees live on!